Thursday, June 12, 2008

"81"

Missions are full of 'Cleaning' Experiences. For instance, this week we have decided to do a clean-sweep of our investigators who are not progressing. In other words we pass by there house and give them a 'Frank Discussion' saying that we know the Book of Mormon is true, leave our Testimony, say that they are always welcome to attend Church, leave them with a pass-along card, and don´t return. It is sad sometimes to think that these might be lost opportunities, on our part and theirs. But we continue to search for the Elite, for those that are ready to hear more about the Gospel.

This week we made contact with Maria Aparecida, an 81 year old woman who lives alone. She has been practically abadoned by her only daughter, who has not talked to her in years, and three months ago stopped sending her money. She cannot walk very well or very much as she has extreme pain in her feet. She also doesn´t eat anything but bread and milk as she says she doesn´t know how to cook. We got some help from members and got a ride for her to go to Church on Sunday. It was kind of a funny experience. We got her out of the Car and a member was on her left side, Sister França on her Right. She started to shout 'Solta, Solta' (Loose, loose) in reference to the grip that the two had on her arms. I thought she said 'Assaulta' 'Assaulta' and for a moment I thought that maybe she forgot where she was and that the member and Sister França were assaulting her. I got really concerned when a bunch of members ran up to her thinking 'Oh great, now she´s really going to think she´s being assaulted by a mob of Mormons'. Fortunately everything was resolved, and she spent the next three hours softly doozing off to sleep in every class and Sacrament Meeting. We passed by yesterday and she said she needed to buy some cream for her feet. We got her out onto the street and she immediately became a screaming maniac shouting 'Move!' 'Get out of my way' and called many men who wouldn´t move 'Stupid'. It was kind of awkward and embarressing for Sister França and I as we are wearing our nametags that say 'Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' and are dragging a screaming woman around in the streets. I think she has had a lot of pain in her life and generally does not have a patient or loving attitude towards strangers. But each person is a child of God, and we love them all the same. Plus, she has 81 years, give the lady a break!

She is ready for baptism, but we probably won´t baptize her. She cannot stand alone, and although we were joking about it when we talked about it, she would probably scream all the way down until she started to drown in the water. Her work will be saved until later :)

This has been a week where patience and Charity have been evident nearly every day. We are learning how to be patient and how to have Charity.Charity is the purse love of Christ, and it brings so much joy to my hear to give, more than to receive. One thing I learned is how I can adapt to the culture here. We were in Maria´s home and she had a wall clock that was broken. I fixed it for her and then hung it on her wall. She said 'no, I have another one, you take this one'. My thought was 'No I fixed it for you, plus we don´t need it'. Sister França accepted her invitation and took the clock. Later Sister França made me carry the clock home, and I said 'I didn´t want to take it, it´s just a clock'. Then I got a stern tongue-lashing from Sister França that I need to give up my 'Culture' and accept the fact that people here, no matter how poor they are want to give. It is the culture in Brazil to give things, trade things and no be very unselfish. And if someone poor ever offers me a wall clock again, I will accept it.

I feel there is so much more to write, but the time has passed quickly. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Restored Church of Jesus Christ on the earth today. I don´t have any doubts about this. I love this Gospel, I love my Savior Jesus Christ.

Have a wonderful week everyone,
Sister Tittelfitz

No comments: