Wednesday, April 16, 2008

first week out!

what a week! I never thought I would make it through the first week in the field, but I think I have finally made it to the point where I know I am a missionary and I know that this work is so powerful and so true! P.S. We do not have a mailbox where we live, meaning that all mail needs to be sent to the P.O. Box in São Paulo, which also means that I will not get any of that mail until I am transferred. That could mean I will get the mail in 6 weeks, or in 4 months, it just depends on the next time I am at the mission home! So, everyone is allowed to email me at this point- friends, family, everyone. I can reply to your emails too, but I am not promising anything, because my Mother comes first, and usually I only have time to email her. jenelle@ldsmail.net

Anyways, the first couple of days were pretty rough, I´m not going to make anything sound like it is easy here. I pretty much followed Sister França around and I don´t think we spoke to each other for the first couple of days. When she did say something to me it was really fast and I had no idea what she said so I would just shake me head and look dumb. Then a miraculous thing happened, she made me start bearing my testimony and praying whenever we were teaching people. I was so scared and would always give her this look like "are you serious"? and she would just smile and nod her head. Don´t be fooled into thinking I´m any better at the language, I am just forced to use what I know. I got really bored of not knowing what we were doing, where we were going, or what people had said too, so I sucked up enough courage and opened my mouth and started talking. I don´t think I am correct about 85% of the time in what I am saying, but the people here are so kind and nice about it, that they listen and shake there heads. We are in the São Vicente 3rd Ward, our borders are comprissed of the little beach town that is full of ridiculous shoe stores and ice cream stands, and then mixed into the favela of the city.

We live in a dump of an apartment, but with the touch of two sisters, we have turned it into a mansion. Parents that have sons on missions, please remind them to clean their showers weekly for the Sisters that live there after them. I try each day at the language, slowly but surely I will get there. I have managed to effictively communicate about my family, told some stories about the CTM and can discuss what I did before the mission and my plans post mission too. It is really difficult to understand people here. Every new person is a new speaker, that means their tone is different, their speed is different and it takes me awhile to adapt to each person.I think I have 3 people I can effectively understand, and my companion is not one of them, yet. We have such wonderful investigators too. Sister Franca is a very dedicated and devoted worker. She without a doubt is carrying most of the load of this companionship, and does it very well.

The people here are generally very receptive and we have even gotten some references from Members to teach their friends and family. Sister Franca told me every Saturday her goal is to fast. So I agreed to do it with her. We forgot, and so decided to do it Sunday. A miraculous thing happened! As we started our fast we prayed that we might we guided by the spirit to find people to teach. That night we were wandering in the Streets and were guided to find Barbara and her mother Maria. Barbara was so receptive to our message, she had so many questions, and I could feel the Spirit there so strongly. Not even 10 minutes after we had left, we found Laci sitting on the curb. She talked with Sister Franca and I didn´t understand what they were saying, but Later Sister Franca told me that Laci had four children in Rio that were ill with Denge, and she is in need of help. Her son lives with her too. We went back yesterday to teach her. Sister França just stared at me when we were supposed to start the lesson and I knew that was my cue to begin teaching. I knew my Portuguese wasn´t anywhere near understandable, but I gave the first half of the discussion, and even understood many of Laci´s questions and concerns. I was so filled with the Spirit I was so excited! We also are following up with a recent convert Salma. She was baptized in January, but had to wait to be confirmed until just this Sunday because she hadn´t stopped smoking. Her husband Joberto says that he likes the church too, but isn´t sure if he wants to be baptized. When we were at their house Sunday night, Sister França told me I was going to share the message. I had no idea what to talk about, and then I opened my scriptures to Mosiah 2:41, that promises when we keep the commandments of God we will be blessed both temporally and spiritually. I talked about the Law of Tithing, and was thinking 'what on earth am I talking about?" I still don´t know, but I have faith that the message I shared will have had an ounce of significance in either Salma or Jobertos lives. They also have a 4 year old son name Elias. He is out of control, as are most 4 year olds. But loves to get into mine and Sister Franças bags whenever we are there. I got really nervous when he was about to open to pocket where I keep some "ahem" private stuff, but he easily got distracted by pass along cards, sunscreen and finger nail clippers.

I know things will get harder while I am here in the field, I will have to learn the language more and more each day, and I will have to teach more and more of the lessons, but I know that I can make it!I know this Gospel is true. I love and am so thankful for Our Savior Jesus Christ and for his Infinite Atonement, and for the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ on this Earth in these Latter Days! I am so thankful for families, and for the Lord preparing the hearts of the many people that we will teach! Love and support the missionaries in your area. They are trying to work hard, and they need references, referalls and support from all members!

Love,Sister Tittelfitz

No comments: